Question: when you have a couple of rifles that you’d like to store, does it make sense to purchase a gun safe worth $2,000 or more to do so?
Answer: Of course not. Yet when you begin to look at gun safes that hold 1-3 rifles, you begin to discover that there are very few gun safes that meet your expectations. That’s why when we got the chance to check out the Barska Quick Access biometric gun safe, we were really excited to see if it would provide a different experience for gun owners.
We were not disappointed. Here are the key takeaways from our experience with this particular gun safe.
- The biometric technology gives you an advantage. You’re able to store up to 120 different authorized users with the fingerprint scanners on this rifle safe. Of course that might be overkill for 3 rifles, which is its maximum storage capacity, but that does give you enough room to upload the identities of all your hunting buddies, your family, and other trusted associates.
- Securing this safe takes 15 minutes max. Barska has equipped this rifle safe with pre-drilled anchor points, allowing users to be able to secure it to either the floor or the wall pretty easily. As long as you’ve identified your placement before the safe arrives, you’ll be able to secure your new gun safe in just minutes.
- The biometric lock can be a little stubborn. Powered by AA batteries, we found that the biometric sensor can be a bit stubborn when detecting a person’s fingerprints. Not only does the screen need to be perfectly clean for you to get a good reading, but your fingerprints need to be in perfect condition. If you have some dirt on your fingers or you’ve picked up a cut somewhere, there’s a good chance your request for entry is going to be rejected.
- Don’t store your rifles with optics in this. We say this if you have more than two rifles to store in the Barska rifle safe. You’ll need to flip the rifles around to store sideways if you have optics on your rifle because of the small capacity of this safe. It won’t hold more than two rifles if you have them installed in this way. Although it will get the job done, we see this gun safe working better for rifles that have no optics or modifications that change its profile.
- A shelf has been added to the interior design. We like this addition because it gives you the chance to store a pistol, the mags for your rifles, or other small items that you’d like to protect. Not every gun safe designed for rifles puts a shelf in, so it was a pleasant surprise.
Overall our impression was above average. We see this being the best gun safe for those who are looking for more of a storage locker for their rifles than a comprehensive security solution for the home. If that happens to be what you’re shopping for today, then we would definitely recommend the Barska Quick Access rifle safe to you.